SUN TEMPLE, AMBER:
The Sun Temple, situated to the west of Amber town on the slope of the hill faces east. It consists of a square sanctum, a vestibule and a pillard manadapa. The sanctum is pancharatha on plan with corbelled ceiling and open pradakshina patha. The sikhara follows the sanctum plan. The manadapa rests on sixteen pillars with a vedikunda in the centre and has a flat ceiling. An inscription on one of the pillar in the front row of the mandapa is dated V.S. 1011 (A.D.954).
SRI JAGAT SHIROMANI TEMPLE, AMBER:
This magnificent temple dedicated to Radha-Krishna was built by Rani Kankavati, the wife of Raja Mansingh-I in the memory of her son Jagat Singh and is the best specimen of early 17th cent AD Mahameru Prasada. It consists of a sanctum, vestibule and mandapa with projecting screen windows on either side. The temple stands on a high ornate adhisthana. The three storied garbhagriha is crowned by shikhra which is adorned with successive rows of urushirngas and karnasringas. The mandapa is two storeyed with lateral concept on either side. The wall of upper story and the ceiling bear paintings. The marble garuda-mandapa in front of the temple is intricately carved. The beautiful marble torana is flanked by elephants. The construction of the temple was started in AD 1599 and completed in AD 1608.
LAXMI-NARAYAN TEMPLE, AMBER:
Dedicated to Vishnu, this temple was built by Balabai, wife of Prithviraj Kachhawaha in the first quarter of sixteenth century A.D. It consists of a sanctum, vestibule, pillared hall and porch. Vertically, the Sanctum consists of pitha, mandovara followed by beautiful sikhara adorned with sringas and urusringas. The doorjamb of the Sanctum is profusely carved. A garuda-manadapa supported on four pillars and crowned by domical roof stands in front of the temple.
Jama masjid (main mosque) also known as Akbari masjid is built on a slightly raised platform entered through small gateways on three sides. Its rectangular prayer hall on the west, has a magnificent fašade of seven arches, the central one is larger than others flanked by four storeyed minarets on either end. The prayer hall is surmounted by three large domes along with an inverted lotus. The courtyard in front of the prayer hall has an ablution tank while the corners of the compound are decorated by minar type chhatri (kiosk).
An inscription on the left side of the central arch states that this mosque was built by Raja Bharmal on the order of mughal emperor Akbar in A.H. 977 (A.D.1569)
JAIGARH FORT: The Kachchwaha family of Rajputs, which claims to be the descendents of Rama has legitimate cause for pride. Of the built and owned 52 forts of the Kachchwaha Chiefs in Dhoondhar (Jaipur region), Jaigarh Fort is exemplary and unique in many ways. Jaigarh Fort was not simply an inanimate building serving a military purpose; it housed some of the most magnificent architectural epitomes ever built. It was alive and echoing to the sounds and symbols of the great Kachchwaha dynasty. A succession of fortified Aravalli hills stand guard, chief amongst them Nahargarh, the Tiger Fort, and culminating in the formidable Jaigarh, high on the hill overlooking the palaces in their rocky mountain gorge. It is one of the few military structures of India preserved almost intact, containing palaces, gardens, unparalleled water management system, a granary, an armoury, a well planned canon foundry, several tanks, a tall tower and giant mounted canon-the Jai BAN.
Fort of Nahargarh:
Jaipur is surrounded on all sides, except the west, by rugged hills of moderate eminence. These are crowned with fort and fortifications and strength the defence of the city. The grand and imposing fort of Nahargarh stands perching a precipitous hill to the north west of the city. It was constructed by Sawai Jai Singh in 1734 A.D. to provide a line of defence against the marhatta attacks. A crenallated parapet covers the entire course of the hill lying between Nahargarh and Jaigarh joining these fortresses. It throws a chain of solid defence with its embattled walls and towers against the enemy attack from this side. The name Nahargarh was given after the divinity otherwise it is known by the name Sudarsangarh.